Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tofu Scrambler

I've finally perfected one of my all time favorite ways to eat tofu, and I couldn't be more thrilled. I've been eating the tofu scramblers at Beans and Barley for years, and I've been trying throughout that time to make it at home, to no avail. For a while I even succumbed to the idea that it'll just be one of those dishes that I can only eat out. One of the downsides of this is that depending on what day of the week we went to Beans, (i.e. who's cooking that day) the scrambler might not be that good. It started to become really frustrating when I'd get one that was knocked out of the park, and then a couple weeks later it would be barely edible. So I recommited myself to learning how to make this at home - if you can't get something done right, do it yourself, I always say. 

If I only had known how insanely easy this was to make, and there wasn't any real 'secret' or 'special' ingredients needed... well, lets just say I didn't kick myself too much upon discovery. This dish is all about technique and the little details, and lots of tahini and Bragg's. I like to make a large batch so we have plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day, which you wouldn't want to do if this were made with eggs. Ever try to save scrambled eggs and eat them the next day? Yeah, pretty repulsive. 

Out of all the vegetarian and vegan dishes I have on here, this is the one I really urge you to try. It's simple and (I think) shockingly good. The tofu gives you that protein punch you want in the morning, and the oils from the tahini keep you full for a long time. I usually serve this with potatoes, but I just wanted a larger batch of it with some really good sourdough toast. We tried Trader Joe's Sourdough with Asiago and Black Peppercorns, and it did not disappoint. 

 INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 pounds firm tofu (usually 1 1/2 packages)
11 ounces cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
5 scallions, sliced thinly
10 - 15 (depending on size) grape tomatoes halved
~3 Tbsp tahini
~3 Tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
3 Tbsp canola oil, divided

Heat 1 Tbsp of canola oil in a large (12") non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms with a pinch of salt and cook till all liquid has been released and has evaporated. When you can hear the mushrooms sizzling again, add all but 1 of the sliced scallions and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove from pan and set aside. 

Add remaining 2 Tbsp of oil to the pan and dial up the heat to medium high. Halve the 2 bricks of tofu and place one of the halves into a glass container and cover with cool water. Cover and pop it into the fridge for a later use. With the remaining tofu, gently squeeze as much of the moisture out as you can into the sink, without it completely crumbling. Crumble the tofu into large chunks (about 1.5") into the oil. Let sit for a few minutes so a nice crust develops. 

Drizzle over the tahini and Bragg's. Stir the tofu well and let sit for another few minutes. Do this a couple of times till tofu is pretty well browned, but not over cooked (aka dried out). Add the halved tomatoes and cook till their skins are just starting to wrinkle. Add back the mushrooms and cooked scallions. Taste, and add more tahini or Bragg's as you see fit. Serve immediately with some fresh scallions as garnish, lots of potatoes (whatever way you like em) and toast.




2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! (And I've been to Bean's & Barley's) :) Thanks for the WI shout-out!

    ReplyDelete